EMBRACE YOUR CROWN CAMPAIGN
Fight the stigma.
1. What has been your experience with mental health? Are there any struggles you overcame or how do you hope to help others overcome theirs? I have seen many people in my life experience mental health issues without proper care. I believe if those people had an outlet or someone to help them through what was going on they wouldn’t feel so confused
2. From your knowledge, what myths or negative stigmas have been attached to black mental health? If any, how did they shape your thoughts about getting help/going to therapy?
Most people in the black community like to deny any mental health issues for the sake of looking weak but in all actuality all black peoples suffer from PTSD from slavery in some way shape or form and we could all use therapy / counseling because we all have a lot of built up aggression
3. Have you ever been to therapy? Why or why not? On a scale of 1-5 how important is it to have a therapist that is culturally competent?
No, I never felt like I needed it ; 5
4. If not, is there any reason why you were not able to seek therapy?
Most people in the black community like to deny any mental health issues for the sake of looking weak but in all actuality, all black peoples suffer from PTSD from slavery in some way shape or form and we could all use therapy/counseling because we all have a lot of built-up aggression
I didn't think it was for me.
5. Lastly, what would make your experience with mental health better?